The January drawing is now complete. Congratulations to The Valley Child Development Center in Red Cloud!
Announcing New Availability: We are excited to announce new eligibility for Calming Corner kits.
1. We have supplies available to send a limited number of second kits to licensed Child Care Centers (CCC license numbers). A second staff member from the center must complete the Cozy Corner training to be eligible.
If a second staff person has already completed the training and survey, they do not need to apply again.
Providers who have not received a first set of supplies are still welcome to participate.
2. We have opened eligibility to a limited number of preschool classrooms under Rule 11, Head Start, and Early Head Start.
These will be distributed on a first-come-first-served basis for those who complete the 1-hour Cozy Corner training. Those who have already completed the training need not retake it. If you have already taken the training or are taking it for the first time, look for an email after completion, as we will need additional information from you to ensure eligibility.
Licensed providers who have not received a set of supplies are still welcome to participate.
The deadline for registering for Cozy Corners is fast approaching. You must register for training by March 8 to be eligible for the last available kits.
Thank you for your patience. Orders are being processed based on childcare license type, with priority given to rural, urban, and Tribal locations. We are currently processing orders by the date of completion.
While you are waiting for your Calming Corner, please take the Lakeshore training on how to set up your new space.
Nebraska Children and Families Foundation in partnership with Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services are pleased to announce an opportunity for early childhood professionals to implement a cozy, calming corner in their childcare settings.
What is a Cozy, Calming Corner?
Children sometimes need a place to take a break from what's happening around them, a safe space where they can go to calm down or solve problems. A cozy, calming corner is a comfortable place away from active areas of the classroom where children can choose to go to sort through big emotions (not a "time out" area).
Nebraska Association of Infant Mental Health Information
The Nebraska Association of Infant Mental Health provides the following resources to implement Cozy, Calming Corners.
Learn more about Calming Corners and how to use them.
Your Own Cozy, Calming Corner
Licensed early childhood professionals who participate in a free one-hour Cozy Corner training through the Nebraska Department of Education (see more information on enrolling) will obtain 1 in-service hour and for participating:
- Family Childcares will receive a complimentary Lakeshore Calming Corner Bundle ($789.00 value).
- Center-based programs will receive a complimentary Calming Corner Instant Learning Space ($1,499.00 Value).
The training session and materials provide you with:
- The essential components to construct a warm and soothing space;
- The knowledge to establish a secure and inviting environment for children to unwind and rejuvenate;
- Insights into the pivotal role adults play in the cozy, calming corner experience;
- Knowledge to develop a comprehensive plan for a new cozy, calming corner or to enhance an existing one.
Receiving Your Cozy, Calming Corner Kit
Click on image to see full-size flyer.
Here is what you need to know about receiving a Cozy, Calming Corner kit:
- You must be a licensed provider to apply.
- You must first complete the 1-hour Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) Cozy Corner training.
- You must complete an 8-question follow-up survey through Nebraska Children and Families Foundation.
- Nebraska Children and Families Foundation and Nebraska Department of Education will check the Canvas system at the end of each month for a list of eligible recipients and will send the list to Lakeshore.
- Once Lakeshore has processed the order, you will receive an email notification that your order has shipped.
- The order will be shipped to the address you provided during NDE training.
- Your kit is paid for through a grant received by Nebraska Children and the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, so no other action is necessary.
If you want more information after completing the NDE course, you can also access a free supplemental training video provided by Lakeshore by clicking on the button below.
Do you have questions? Visit the Cozy, Calming Corners FAQ page.